At This Theatre: Lew M. Fields Theatre
Built in 1904, the Lew M. Fields Theatre was designed by Albert Westover. It was located at 254 W. 42nd Street and backed by Lew M. Fields himself. By the late 1910s, Fields turned over the theatre to producer James K. Hackett, who renamed the theatre after himself. This theatre presented a flop in 1916, Under Sentence, starring Edward G. Robinson, Thomas Mitchell, and Frank Morgan. Soon, the theatre became known as the Harris and later the Frazee, in honor of its newest owner, H.H. Frazee. In 1921, the Frazee stage was graced by theatre legends Lynn Fontanne, Elliott Nugent, and Howard Lindsay in George S. Kaufman and Marc Connelly’s first Broadway hit, Dulcy. In 1924, the theatre was renamed again as the Wallack’s Theatre, where Shirley Booth starred in Hell’s Bells with Humphrey Bogart. After a series of flops, the theatre was converted to a movie theatre and renamed the Anco Cinema. The former Lew M. Fields was gutted in 1988 and demolished in 1997.